Friday, August 31, 2007

Episode XXVII: A Civil War

It appears August is Civil War month here in Lawrence, Kansas. I caught the tail end of the festivities last year, including an appearance from William Quantrill; I attended a few of the events this year as well, although I missed an appearance from John Brown.

Kansas likes to claim that the Civil War started here, and Lawrence, along with some neighboring cities, surely have some pretty neat historic sites.

In honor of the Civil War festivities, I have chosen to release the following video, one that I recorded quite some time ago but wasn’t sure whether or not I wanted to let anyone else see it. Nevertheless, here it is- you might call it a music video, but I prefer to think of it as a low-fidelity bootleg recording of an intimate concert (in a 75 sq ft. room).

The song is a “theme and variations” based on the popular Civil War song When Johnny Comes Marching Home. Each variation is intended to convey some aspect of the soldier’s life; in particular, I loosely based the progression of thoughts on the novel The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane.

So there you have it. If you have seven minutes and seventeen seconds with nothing better to do, check it out (or course, if you have dial-up, it could take you hours- or days).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is fabulous! That's my cousin! (that's what Jenna just told her friend who is here visiting)

razjericho said...

Ah Jenna, you flatter me!

Anonymous said...

very nice. you try too hard sometimes. it was cute though. so is jenna. hello to everyone who is reading this.

Anonymous said...

Adam that was awesome! Nice job.