Friday, January 26, 2024

Episode CXCIII: January Holidays

January 2024 was our first full month in California. We took advantage of a few January holidays to get out and about in Southern California.

The most significant holiday to me was my birthday - my 40th birthday 😬

To celebrate, I took on the challenge of the American Ninja Warrior obstacle course (as if to prove I was still young and physically fit).



A good time was had by all - kiddos, adults, and grandparents. Amazingly enough, we sustained no major injuries- not even to my 40-year-old body.


The family was off of work and school in honor of MLK day, so we took a 2-hour hike of our local mountain (Mount Rubidoux).

Halfway up

View from the top

We took a weekend afternoon walk to our local public orchard - a very Riverside thing to do.


We also took a weekend walk to Poly High School. We are temporarily living in a rental house which just so happens to be next door to Riverside Polytechnic "Poly" High School. Which is where my grandma went to school 73 years ago!

Poly in 1951 (it's Alta!)

Poly in 2024 (it's us!)


Finally, we are just now opening some of our remaining Christmas presents that we never got around to due to our busy moving schedule. This is a game that the whole family enjoys, and indeed is probably the first game that both Elliot and Lydia get equal amounts of enjoyment from. 




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!!! Love your posts!! Ina Rhea

Anonymous said...

I love the trails and turns of Mt Rubidoux...how nice that you climbed as a family. Your January local exploration days look like such a great mix of family adventure! I'm glad you did something wild and fun on your 40th! I've never heard of the Ninja Warrior Adventure Park...sounds challenging. You all look so happy and relaxed...I hope you've enjoyed your move to Riverside so far. Love to all of you, Deyon