Friday, May 22, 2009

Episode LXIII: Adam Norris, Information Technologist Part II

Here is the long-awaited update on my official, boring IT job and the Blackberry (BB) that came along with it. Basically, I was just instructed to stay “in the vicinity” of where the teleconference classes were being held (i.e. within a short walking distance), and carry about my normal business until I got a call on the BB asking for technology help (which hardly ever came). In the meantime, I would (in decreasing order of truthiness):

Surf the net on the BB while sitting in lab…


Take pictures with the BB at the campus art museum…


Read emails while playing on the pianos in KU’s practice rooms…


Keep tabs on the BB while playing volleyball at the Rec Center…


(picture not found)


Text friends while driving through countryside farmland…


And check emails while riding up the ski lift…


Needless to say, it was a worthwhile job.

Unfortunately, after a year of service, I was essentially "laid off". Not, mind you, because of improper use of the BB in Colorado, nor was it due to actual performance issues, nor even was it due to the recession (although that would have made a better story). In fact, I think the university finally figured out that my position was really just a superfluous, overpaid, underworked, marginally useful load of bureaucratic excess.

And I’m happy to have been a part of it.

4 comments:

Brian said...

the important question that remains somewhat unanswered is...did you get to keep the blackberry?

razjericho said...

aha. unfortunately, i am handing the bb back in a matter of minutes.

Kyle said...

well, it seemed like it was fun while it lasted. so now what if i call your blackberry, who will pick up?

razjericho said...

some confused it guy i guess