Saturday, September 04, 2010

Episode LXXXIII: Summers in Kansas

Summer in Kansas is winding down. If I am lucky, it will be my last summer in Kansas. I find Midwest autumns to be amazing and incredible, Midwest springs to be quite nice, Midwest winters to be exciting and generally tolerable, but Midwest summers? No thank you.


Nonetheless I did have some good times this summer. For instance:


Kyle came out for a couple weeks. Spent a couple days here in Lawrence, but most of it in Iowa. We went to Des Moines and played Frisbee at the capitol building:


And in the capitol building:


And in the fountain across from the capitol building:



And we got the true rural experience, using a giant excavator to dig up dirt and stuff.


I must say, that while Kansas is not the most exciting place in the world in terms of attractions and things, Iowa is twice as bad! And on top of that, I got really shoddy (almost non-existent) cell reception the whole weekend, up until we were finally on the interstate that led us back out of Iowa.


Speaking of driving, Trusty Rusty (my truck) hit a major milestone this summer: 100,000 miles! Yes, you heard right: a 24-year-old truck, with only 100,000 miles on it.



It just so happened that we hit 100k right in the middle of a thunderstorm, on the highway, on the way to play a show with my band. I nonetheless took the time to get off the highway so that I could get a picture of the odometer, as well as pose with Rusty (thanks to photographer/roommate Rafael.)



Coincidentally, I think, within the next week or two: (1) I cracked my front blinker light, (2) my brake light switch malfunctioned so that the brake lights were always on, (3) the blinkers stopped working altogether, and (4) as a consequence of a number of factors (long story) my parked truck, as my neighbor explained, “started rolling down the hill” (albeit very slowly) in my condo’s parking lot:


Not to worry, though, I have fixed nearly all those problems, without even spending a dime. Rusty- here’s to 100,000 miles more!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hail to good ol'Rusty!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you really played firsbee in the capitol...and you didn't get arrested? amazing! :) who does that?????

Kyle said...

so your truck started rolling towards your condo? that's pretty exciting! one time my car did that because i forgot to put on the parking break and or put it in gear, so it was resting on brian's car, and he bravely stopped my car with his as he pulled away. ok, well glad your summer was ok. i'm in a meeting, i'll call you back

Anonymous said...

I did not realize that old Rusty had hit sucha milestone! Congratulations to him!

razjericho said...

The capitol was a very boring place without us playing frisbee in it. I think everyone there was thankful that we were able to bring a bit of liveliness to the place.