Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Episode CI: California There We Came

As per tradition, I traveled back home to California over the Christmas/New Year holidays. This year I brought along my wife as well- indeed, thanks to the recent marriages in the family, our household was 33% larger than it usually is at this time of year.


This was the first Christmas that Meg and I spent Christmas or New Year's together, and let me say that it was a lovely, lovely thing to do. I recommend it.
 

At Grandma Shearer's Christmas Celebration we introduced a brand new tradition of a walk around the block (with frisbees in tow, of course.) A pretty nice tradition for a locale where Christmas Day was a refreshing sunny-with-a-high-of-seventy-five.


For Brian's birthday the family adventured on over to a giant complex full of trampoline-based excitement. Jumping on trampolines for an hour straight the day after playing a few hours of basketball makes for an interesting feeling in the legs, let me tell you.


Some of the family also took a trip up to Simi Valley to take in Ronald Reagan's Presidential Library and Museum. It was a very nice museum set in a lovely area. I recommend it. Here are Meg and I posing in front of Air Force One (a previous iteration.)


The Norrises rung in the New Year in high style this year, watching a DVRed Lakers game and then giving Megan a New Year's kiss (at least that's what I was doing.) We also had the good fortune of being able to hang out with a bunch of family and friends at a two-day New Year's church meeting up in LaVerne, which was nice.

Finally, I wrapped up my vacation with a traditional Norris family Christmastime trip, this time to Arrowhead Lake (and yes, it included Costco hotdogs.)


The cabin we stayed in was posh- we could have spent all day indoors playing billiards, foosball, ping pong, Xbox, etc...


 

But it was also extremely nice weather, so we went outside as well. We played some multi-story frisbee:


And went on a hike around Big Bear Lake:


The only negative (that I know of) was that the water heater broke shortly after we arrived. However, this turned out to be a positive (in my books) when the property manager arranged for us to have free access to the Arrowhead Resort hotel, complete with a day spa (including my favorite gratuitous comfort experience, a steam room.)


After a last-minute trip to In-N-Out on the way back, it was time for Meg and I (and Alicia and Chris) to pack our bags, and return to our own abodes. And so it was, a seemingly action-packed (but highly enjoyable) Christmas vacation.



2 comments:

Diane said...

Love that the whole family got to spend so much time together Adam! As everyone gets older it's harder and harder to do that, so it was really neat to hear that you all made it home at the same time. Treasure those moments...they are special!
Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you are having a wonderful day. You and Megan look so happy. We love to get the updates and see how well things are going for you! Love and miss you,
Aunt Diane

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! So glad you guys were all able to come out to CA! We loved being a part of some of your visit!
Love, Aunt Deyon