Friday, March 31, 2017

CXLIX: Job

It's about time in my career for me to get a real job. A job for which I've been training for decades (4 years of undergraduate school, 5 years of graduate school, 6 years of postdoctoral fellowship...) The only problem is that the job I want, being a research professor, is a really hard job to get. As you can see in the infographic below, while many (most?) biology PhD students would like to become a professor one day, only about 8% are able to do so.


Knowing how competitive the job market was, I decided I would have to apply broadly. As you can see below, I applied to universities all over North America (almost 100 applications in total!!)


Not surprisingly, the vast majority of universities did not invite me for a job interview. Most didn't even bother to send me a rejection. Here are the places that offered me at least a phone/Skype interview:


Not bad. Maybe a 15% rate of invitation. Here are the places that invited me for a full on-site interview:


As I previously mentioned, I had a lot of fun on those interviews. It was great to meet a bunch of excellent scientists, talk about my work, and be treated like royalty in various cities throughout the country. In the end, I received a grand total of two offers:


And the place whose offer I accepted...


... That's right: Dallas, Texas! I have agreed to be a professor at SMU (Southern Methodist University). The paperwork is still pending, but I've committed. More to come as things develop. For now, enjoy some images of SMU's beautiful campus.








6 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! You may have to change the blog title again.

Kevin said...

Congrats, very cool!

Steven M said...

The Epic Ballade Continues, Y'all. And it continues a mere 3 hours from the Martin home.

Anonymous said...

Excellent news. You will look good in a 10 gallon hat. - Craig

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again...so very happy for you! Thanks for sharing the exhaustive journey it took to find what you were looking for! I hope you and Meg enjoy Dallas and all it has to offer, and that you receive many blessings in your new position that you've worked so hard for! We're EXTREMELY proud of you and your desire to make a difference!

ps...My Grandma on my mom's side went to SMU back in the day when it was not common for women to seek higher education. I still get mail from her sorority.

Juanito said...

Those look like some time-consuming maps you made!
Also, congratulations. I wouldn't have put Texas on the top of my places to visit list, but I may still visit once anyway for the formality of it.