Thursday, July 19, 2007

Episode XXIV: A Painful Predicament

The last two weeks have been pretty mundane for me, so today I will simply whine about my recent physical deterioration:

The cycle of pain began about a month ago when a friend asked me to fill in for a missing player on his softball team, and I happily obliged. I played second base, and there was a play where the opposing batter tried stretch for a double: I easily tagged him out, but he slid hard, and his cleat went straight into my left shin (I was wearing shorts). A bruise developed immediately.

The following inning I myself was required to slide into second, which I accomplished successfully. Unfortunately, as I was still wearing shorts, I created a very nice scrape right on top of the fairly substantial bruise.

Then just last Tuesday the same friend calls me up and asks me if I will substitute for a missing player on his softball team, and I happily oblige. Near the end of the game, I single, but the first-base coach insists that I go for two. I have built up a good deal of speed, I am once again wearing shorts, and the throw is on-time, so I have to slide out of the way. My shin not only gets scraped up, but also a kind of rash, like a rug-burn except with sand instead of rug. To add insult to injury, the second-baseman tries to tag me late and slaps me in the face with his glove, sending my sunglasses flying.

So now I have a large scrape all up my leg, on top of a sand-burn, which is on top of a previous scab, which lies in turn on a previous bruise. The next day a friend calls me up and asks me to substitute for his missing partner in a sand volleyball game, and I happily oblige. The sun burns my shin, and sand gets inside the scab. When I wash it away, it reopens the wound a bit.

And if you are not feeling sorry for me yet, let me tell you that later that day the same guy calls me up and asks if I want to help him extract honey from some honeycombs, and of course I say yes. I am promptly stung by a bee on my left ear. My ear gets really red, and about 50% too big, and I get a bit woozy.


It is, indeed, a hard-knock life.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Adam,
Maybe you should say "no" once in a while!! It does sound like you're having fun though and keeping busy. By the way, our dog also got stung by a bee over the weekend and had a terrible allergic reaction. She had to go on Prednisone, so we feel for you. Hope your wounds heal soon!

Anonymous said...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
- Benjamin Franklin

Studies of recreational softball injuries have found that base sliding is responsible for 35% to 71% of injuries occurring during play, including abrasions, sprains, ligament strains, and fractures [3,4]. These injuries are caused by the impact of rapid deceleration against stationary bases. Methods suggested to reduce base-sliding injuries have included prohibiting sliding, offering better instruction on sliding techniques, using recessed bases, and using quick-release bases [4,5]. Prohibiting base sliding would be effective but might be met with resistance from some fans and participants. Holding instructional clinics on proper sliding techniques is a possibility for school-related organizations; however, this method might be impractical for community-based teams.

-Reported by:DH Janda, MD, EM Wojtys, MD, FM Hankin, MD, ME Benedict, MA, Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan. Epidemiology Br, Div of Injury Epidemiology and Control, Center for Environmental Health and Injury Control, CDC.

Anonymous said...

So what have we learned?

1: Stop doing favors for your friend, at least softball-related. Or at least until your battle scars heal.
2: Stop wearing shorts; wear pants or steel plates over your legs

I'd make up a third but something tells me it'd just be stupid...then again, most things I say are stupid. Cool!

Why do you keep saying yes? Aren't there other guys qualified to play softball? You should take a break before you LOSE the leg!!

Anonymous said...

You know, oddly, I feel very sorry for you. The only thing I might change is wearing shorts after that first game...just out of self preservation. I would have said yes to all of those offers, so I am very sympathetic to your injuries which, of course, were caused by just a string of bad luck. Be sure to keep the leg clean and covered in Neosporin to avoid an infection. That would be way worse to deal with!
Wish we could be out there for the meeting to see you in person...I'm glad you will get to see all the others. They, I'm sure, will be good medicine!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh the joys of playing softball. I feel your pain...I have similar stories and scars we can compare next time you are in Cali.

FYI-pants don't make a huge difference. If you slide there is still friction and the wound opens right back up.

razjericho said...

Heh. Thank you all for your sympathy and support.

I find it difficult to say "no" to fun things like sports and stuff, so that's probably not going to solve the problem.

Regarding Craig's post, I am sure glad that the CDC is diligently reporting on softball sliding injuries. Keep America safe!

Anonymous said...

Hey Adam, would you come over and play basketball with me? Or guitar?