Saturday, May 31, 2008

Episode XLIV: Oral Exam!

I am currently in preparations for what is known as Oral Examinations, sometimes referred to as Prelims. This is essentially the biggest and most stressful test that I have ever experienced or ever will experience. The exam for me is Friday the 13th (of June), only five days before leaving for California. For this reason I have been doing an extraordinary amount of studying the last few weeks, and plan to continue to do so until the date of the exam.

The exam has two major components. In the first (and largest) I have spent a great deal of time writing a mock grant proposal, which outlines a major research project and is designed to ask the NIH (National Institutes of Health) for tons of funding money. During the exam I will sit in a room in front of five professors, and they will ask me to defend the ideas that I have in the proposal, and answer numerous questions related to the biology and significance of the proposal.

The second part is essentially a basic knowledge test, where the professors ask me any sort of biology-related questions they want, to test the depth and breadth of my scientific knowledge and critical thinking skills.


For this reason, I have been reading in earnest the book: Molecular Biology of the Cell, which is the definitive text with regards to the kind of research that I am doing. I plan on reading the entire thing before the exam. It is over 1700 pages. Therefore I read it a lot.

In lab:

In church:

At the gym:

And in bed:

I am working hard because I really really do not want to fail. If you pass your orals, you go on, do more research, and graduate with your Ph.D. If you fail, you are awarded a Masters, and invited to leave the university.

So now I am going to go study. Wish me the best!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck. I' m sure you'll do great. Go Lakers!

Craig

Anonymous said...

sounds like it would do you good to pass this test. you'll be fine, but good luck anyway. yes. boston, LA baby! it'll be fun.

Anonymous said...

Wow Adam, that sounds pretty intense. I am sure you will do great- you always do! Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Anonymous said...

Big step...Good luck!!! I am sure my dad could commiserate with you. See ya' soon!

Genelocus said...

Jackie's Dad says: Jackie is right, I can commiserate.

Ahhh yes, called paying your dues. Interesting way to do a written with the NIH grant. I had 12 faculty in my orals and they had failed two of the three people before me YIKES. You will be fine, just remember don't freeze on an answer and it is O.K. to say "I don't know".
Go get em.. Then I can call you Doc.